Issues like leg sprains, arthritis, and even simple joint overuse may require support in the form of braces and splints. These simple supports can help you put less pressure on your legs and facilitate faster healing. If you’ve had a sports injury such as an ankle sprain, or even troublesome corns, we can help. At LePoer Podiatry, we can provide these supports along with our diagnostic and treatment services.
When Are Braces and Splints Needed?
Braces and splints are needed when you have a leg injury. Leg braces and splints immobilize joints, restrict movement in a given direction, assist correct movement, and reduce weight-bearing forces. All of these benefits can help injured areas of the leg heal faster and without trouble.
Common signs that you need a leg brace include:
- Ongoing pain in your knees, ankles, feet, or legs.
- Discomfort in your leg(s) while performing daily tasks.
- You are experiencing frequent swelling and inflammation, especially when you exercise.
- You struggle with arthritis or have just had surgery.
- You have low or no arches in your feet.
- Your legs are incredibly sore after standing for extended periods of time.
- Your legs, ankles, or feet need correction from chronic issues.
How Do Braces and Splints Work?
Braces and splints are attached around the leg or to the foot, depending on the source of your injury. They work by providing stability to the joint and minimizing the pressure you put on the leg while moving. The reduction in pressure allows your leg to heal faster than it otherwise would. Braces and splints also help prevent incorrect healing by holding your legs in their proper positions.
What Are the Different Types?
There are several different types of braces used to treat different injuries. The correct brace or splint for you will depend on your specific needs.
- Prophylactic Braces – These braces prevent injuries to ligaments.
- Functional Braces – These braces are used to support injured knees and to reduce rotation.
- Rehabilitative Braces – These braces limit movement while you’re healing from an injury or surgery.
- Unloader/offloader Braces – These braces are made for arthritic knees and keep stress off the hurt joint.
Find Leg Braces and Splints in Providence, Rhode Island
Proper healing starts with the proper support. Here at LePoer Podiatry, we offer leg braces and splints to help your leg injuries heal quickly and correctly. Learn more about our services by contacting us today. You can reach us by filling out and submitting the form below or by calling us at (401) 453-2000.